Newfoundland Power is the distributor of electricity for 87% of customers in Newfoundland and Labrador. In a nutshell, we are the poles and wires company and we are so proud to have served you for 130 years! (That’s right, we are one of the oldest utilities in all of North America.) Here’s a few interesting facts about your electricity provider:
- Newfoundland Power (NP) purchases 93% of the energy it distributes from Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro. (Hydro makes the power, NP distributes it.) We do generate a small amount of power (7%) ourselves.
- There are approximately 260,000 Newfoundland Power customers.
- About 650 employees ranging from Power Line Technicians to Engineers to Customer Service Representatives serve you every day.
- In our service territory, we have 12,000 km of transmission and distribution lines. That’s the same distance as driving from St. John’s to Port aux Basques 13 times!
- We have 300,000 poles, 130 substations, 23 hydroelectric generating plants and 4 thermal generating plants.
- Every year we purchase about $110 million in goods and services, with nearly 80% being purchased locally.